Friday 30 August 2013

Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell: ‘Coming Out’ Bipolar

I have an ethical dilemma.

I have bipolar disorder. Not much I can do about it; not much of an ethical paradox. It is what it is.

But that is not the whole of my dilemma. I also happen to be a writer that writes about a whole range of subjects including my experience of living with a mental illness. My predicament is whether to use my own name when writing about the personal stuff. Should I tell the world – with all its prejudices – that I have bipolar disorder? Or should I use a pseudonym, effectively protecting me from stigma and prejudice? Will outing myself negatively impact on my professional profile or will it contribute in some small way to helping others?
One of the best ways to overcome stigma and prejudice, of course, is to ‘out’ it. It is becoming increasingly common for celebrities to talk of personal experiences of depression and various mood disorders. It is less common for those with schizophrenia to have access to such advocates. For us mere mortals, personalising mental illness relies on a certain amount of courage and, some might say, madness.

Given that those with mental illnesses, like any minority group, have long been shunned by certain sections of society, more needs to be done than merely talking about the need to break down the barriers faced by sufferers. Action, they say, speaks louder than words. My writing on bipolar disorder aims, amongst other things, to help break down barriers towards mental illness to raise awareness and to de-stigmatise the widely misunderstood illness. Bipolar disorder a mood disorder, previously known as manic depression, is characterised by differing expressions and combinations of high and low moods, from extreme mania and psychosis to suicidal depression.
Admitting that I write about bipolar disorder inevitably leads to being asked whether I have bipolar disorder or a mental illness. When I say that I do, I am bombarded by a whole raft of other personal and confronting questions such as: ‘what makes you bipolar?’; ‘what are the craziest things you have done when you are high?’. Or, my personal favourite, ‘have you ever been suicidal?’.

Some questions are easy to answer; others less so. Such questions seem to challenge the actual diagnosis that took so long to reach and was such a relief to hear. I was diagnosed in 2007 after a decade and a half of extreme ups and downs. Other questions are painful because they make me remember things I did, or feelings I felt, when I was unwell.
Herein lays my dilemma. I obviously want my writing to raise awareness and help to remove the stigma of mental illness, but at what personal cost? I am left wondering: do I, in an effort to break down mental illness’ stigma, actually have an ethical obligation to “come out” and declare my hand? But how far should I go in disclosing my illness? Should I tell the world or protect myself from any uncomfortable questioning?

If I do declare my hand, my writing will probably have greater authenticity than if I merely write as an interested observer. But, the flow-on effect might be too close for comfort.
The successful treatment of a mental illness requires personal acceptance that one actually has a mental illness. Reaching this point is, for many people, easier said than done. However, doing so empowers one to take control over treatment plans and, perhaps most importantly, to take responsibility for taking the medication that is such an important part of the management regime. Accepting that you have a mental illness, or in my case bipolar disorder, is an enormous and vital step in achieving balance. Coming out publically is a whole other ball game.

My family obviously know that I am crazy! I have also been quite candid with some of my friends, colleagues and acquaintances. But whether to tell everyone who asks me is another matter entirely.
There are some downsides to such a declaration, not including the personal questions that inevitably follow. There is a tendency for well-meaning people to interpret all behaviour as fitting the ‘mentally ill’ profile and to dismiss emotions as less important than those of ‘sane’ people.

Then there are the issues associated with attitudes and assumptions that affect my family and friends. Do I want parents and guardians of my son’s friends knowing my personal medical history before we know each other’s last names? No, I probably don’t.
Do I want to put myself in the firing line and subject myself to the very prejudices that I am trying to extinguish? I’m not sure if it is the best thing to do, but telling the world and everyone else that will listen certainly does feel like the right thing to do. For me, I have chosen to put myself out there and to use my illness in order to raise the profile of mental illness and, hopefully, to be of some help to my fellow travellers. It is also helping me to make sense of negotiating the ups and downs of the highs and lows.

This is why I have chosen not to use a pseudonym.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps your commentary is more valuable for its purpose if you can talk about both the illness and peoples reaction to it. Perhaps that harder path will take you where you choose to go. It often does! It seems to me that people living with a mental illness have 2 burdens to carry - the illness itself and the reactions of family, friends and strangers. If you have the courage to stare them both down and live a purposeful life, you are a wonderful role model for those who come after you. <3

    ReplyDelete